Fly fishing is one of the most challenging sport out there. With the right kayak, you can take fly fishing to a whole new level. You may know a lot about kayaks; their features and drawbacks, and about the different types of kayaks. But do remember that the kayaks required for fly fishing are different from your everyday regular use kayaks and even from the sports model too. These require extra stability to counter your movements during fishing. Additional equipment is just as important as choosing the right kayak. These may lend you a hand in your time of need, or may simply provide you extra comfort.
Don’t just buy any kayak. We have prepared a list of the best kayaks you can buy. This list was made after doing thorough research on the internet about the different models of kayak available, so you can rest assured about the quality of the kayak. Read further to know which kayak suits your purpose and why? Also, know about the important factors that were taken into consideration while preparing the list. These factors include comfortability, stability, storage space, type of seat, and many other features into consideration take while purchasing the kayak.
- Where you fish matters the most. Kayaks are designed differently according to the water bodies they are supposed to be used in. The stability, design, shape, and even the size of the kayak vary on this very factor. You may choose to fish in a tidal estuary, or salt flats, a trout stream, or bass ponds. Some kayaks are designed for calm waters, while others may excel in waves. Also, do you intend to fish as soon as you get into the water, or will it take some paddling to get to your destination? Choose a kayak based on these factors.
- Fly fishing requires a lot of movement. This makes stability a critical determining factor. While the kayak may be stable if it lays still, or even when it’s paddled through waves. But there’s a difference when it comes to fly fishing. You will perform a variety of techniques to get the best catch. While the kayak may be stable when you sit down, but when you fish, these movements cause a lot of additional force on the kayak, making it unstable. So always choose a kayak that is recommended and is stable enough for kayak fishing.
- Fishing requires a lot of storage space, both to store the gear and your catches. You will need a kayak that can hold on to all your requirements without cluttering the space. You may need space to hold a cooler or a box, a knife, extra line, holders among other possible requirements. The storage space should be water-proof and easy to access from the cockpit.
- The seat kayak needs to be high enough to cast while sitting, but it should also be low enough so that it does not compromise stability. The best way to find such an ideal seating is through adjustable seats. When you are tired of fishing, you might want to get comfortable, or when you decide to fish, you might find the seat reducing your mobility. You can adjust the seat according to your needs. Therefore, it’s advised to buy kayaks that have an adjustable seating option.
Based on the above factors, we recommend you to have a look at the following kayaks:
1. Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 | 13ft Angler – Single Person, Sit On Top Fishing Kayak w/Paddle & Dual Position Hero Seat
No drama, just adventure, and enjoying nature.
Stay ahead of your friends and competitors with this kayak. Get an edge in fly fishing with this beautifully crafted kayak. The sea ghost series focuses on combining speed and stability for a better balance. This is the best kayak, which not only fulfills your expectations but exceeds them. Be it comfort, gear mounting, storage, or construction, this kayak excels in all. You may regret certain decisions in your life; however, this sea ghost kayak isn’t going to be one of them.
Feature and Benefits:
Some features that make this kayak a good-to-buy kayak are –
This model boasts a Dual Position, Ventilated Vibe Hero Seat. It has a 4 x Vibe Phantom-Grip Comfy Carrying Handles for your ease. You also get a comfortable and adjustable Support Track Foot Braces. The toe-controlled rudder makes it easier to navigate the kayak.
It features 2 x Flush Mounted Fishing Rod, Holders. It has a Universal Mount that can be used for storing a Fish Finder Transducer, or any other accessories that have a rectangular base. Comfort is all about customization. Get a 6 x Top-Loading Gear Tracks for ultimate customization.
This kayak has an 8″ Sealed V-Wave Deck Plate with Waterproof Cargo Bags. It even features an oversized front cargo storage tank well with a Flex-Top Gear Cover that has an integrated easy bow access paddle park.
It is made with performance-crafted ultra-stable Rotomolded single piece polyethylene. It has an ultra-quiet Pontoon-Style fishing-stealth hull design. The decks are slip-resistant.
- Length: 13’
- Width: 33”
- Item weight: 75 pounds
- Paddlers: Single person kayak
- Material: Rotomolded single piece high-density polythene
- Capacity: 550 pounds
Advantages and Disadvantages
With the amazing features that this kayak has, I bet anything is missing that’s required by you. The durable, yet stable and easy to navigate kayak is the perfect model that you can own for fly fishing. With the adjustable seats, be it you or anyone else, they can use this kayak with ease. So, what are you waiting for? Experience fly fishing like never before when you purchase this model.
Pike Angler Inflatable Kayak
Deflate carry inflate and enjoy the best fishing experience.
Fishing in a kayak is a fun activity to cut down the boredom from our daily lives. A kayak enables you with a farther reach where most conventional boats fail. This kayak is light weighted and highly portable with Pike IK, this NRS had made it much more easily to fish on hard-to-reach waters. With the durable design and portability, the Pike also delivers stability and capacity so that you can take it anywhere you want to.
Feature and Benefits:
This kayak features a rugged PVC construction that creates damage resistance and can hold up the kayak to the hardest of environments. This also allows you to reach places where most conventional boats fail to reach.
A stable boat is easy to ride and catch fish upon. The 4 inches thick high-pressure inert on the self-bailing floor is the reason behind the flat and rigid platform of this kayak. The stern compartments on the other hand allow you to gain easy access to your milk crate or tackle bag by creating some extra space.
Whether you are a beginner or an intermediate in the kayaking game this kayak fits you all. The design and construction focus on creating a stable delighted feel. The defense system or external damage protection is made strong enough to keep you worry-free in case your kayak is hit.
Multiple D-rings and bungee rigging are pre-installed for securing the tackle and the gear. The seats are adjustable ones. Also, removable fins, repair kit, and carry bag are allotted to the user. The paddler can be used by a large or an average adult.
Fishing from a kayak allows us to reach places we couldn’t in a conventional boat. With the lightweight, highly portable (and portage-able) Pike IK, we’ve opened up even more hard-to-reach waters for the kayak angler. The Pike delivers the stability, capacity, and outfitting you need to fish effectively in a lightweight and durable design you can take with you anywhere.
- Product Dimensions: 36 x 20 x 12 inches
- Item weight: 57 pounds
- Number of air chambers: 3
- Cockpit Type: Sit on Top/open cockpit
- Type of material: PVC
- Structure: Inflatable
Advantages and Disadvantages
Kayaks offering portability and durability are rare in the market and if you want one at an affordable price and make your fishing trip a tremendous success, this kayak will be the perfect choice for you. The adjustable seats and stability of the kayak enable you to reach places where you can find the maximum number of fishes. The kayak is inflatable and you can carry it in your backpack easily anywhere with you just like your fishing essentials.
Excited to go fly fishing but still can’t decide between the two? Although any one of them would make your fly fishing a joyful one, we do prefer the Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 model.
This model is a beast. Be it comfort, gear mounting, storage, or construction, this model is on par with all your expectations. Experience speed, and with better stability, it’s easy to maneuver through difficult courses. It has all the storage you require so that you can carry on all your gears and other necessities. In, terms of comfort, the toe-controlled rudders make it easier to navigate the kayak. The seats are designed in a way so that you would be comfortable sitting on it throughout the day. The kayak is made of hardened material that won’t easily break even if you hit obstacles or handle it roughly. In short, this is the kayak that you need. Look forward to an amazing fly fishing experience if you go with this kayak. Do share your suggestions and experience in the comments section below.